Delicate Summer Squash Frittata
1. Slice the squash so that you create 1/8″ thick slices that are as large in surface area as possible. (A bias cut may be required if you are using a cylindrical squash.)
2. Melt 1 Tbsp of butter in a skillet (I used a 10″ Cast Iron Skillet) over medium heat.
3. Pat the slices of squash dry and place them in the buttered pan in a circular pattern, keeping about 1/4″ of each sliced over the previous one. This will allow them to form a shape and connected pattern in the bottom of the pan and will be a solid base for the eggs.
4. Allow the squash to sit in the pan for several minutes to brown. Sprinkle with sea salt as desired while cooking.
5. Beat 3-5 eggs in a bowl (depending on how thick you want the frittata and how many people you’re serving, I used just 3 eggs this time for myself). When you see that some of the slices are beginning to brown, then it’s time to add the egg.
6. Reduce the heat of your pan to a low flame/level. Pour the beaten eggs gently over the sliced squash, ensuring that the egg reaches all of the edges of the pan to form a complete layer.
7. Allow the frittata to cook until you see that the egg is no longer runny. I like to cover it while it’s cooking to help the top-side cook. If you’re going to finish this under a broiler you won’t need to do that. If you are going to broil it, cook the eggs until just the bottom has cooked and the top is still runny, then go ahead and place your oven-safe pan in the oven under the broiler for just a few minutes until you see that the top of the eggs turn a light golden brown.
8. Remove your frittata from the heat, either the stovetop or the broiler and set aside.
9. In a separate, small pan, sautee thinly sliced shallots with a touch of sea salt in butter until they become lightly browned. Place shallots on top of the frittata.
10. Pour olive oil in to the pan that the shallots just came out of and drop in a small amount of fresh rosemary leaves. Once they stop sizzling, pour the oil and rosemary over the frittata.
The 21-Day Sugar Detox is an easy-to-follow three week program to help break your addiction to sugar and carbs.