Gluten-free, grain-free flatbread
Also needed: Frying pan (nonstick or your choice); Spatula and Pastry Brush
1. Add all dry ingredients to blender; blend on high speed for 20-30 seconds to sift and combine dry ingredients thoroughly.
2. Dump dry ingredients into large mixing bowl; add in all other ingredients except for the shortening/oil, that will be used for coating the frying pan. Mix all ingredients together until thin batter forms and all dry ingredients are incorporated.
3. Preheat frying pan on low heat. In a small bowl, melt your shortening or coconut oil or fat of choice in the microwave if solid. Dip your pastry brush in the liquid fat and brush a thin coating all over your frying pan, coat it thoroughly, and don’t skip around the edges. The oil will go very far when you spread it thinly.
4. Using a ladle or spoon, pour about 1/4 cup of the batter into the greased frying pan and swirl it around to spread it out in the pan until it’s the size you want. Try not to stretch it too thin or it might tear or cook unevenly.
5. Cook until lightly browned and firm on one side, gently flip over and cook other side until also lightly browned and firm.
6. After each flatbread, remove it from the pan onto a plate and brush with cooking fat before each ladle goes in. I don’t recommend cooking more than one at a time unless you use a large griddle.
7. Repeat until all batter is used.
Yields approx. 10 flatbreads, 80 calories each
Store in the fridge in a storage container. If you freeze them, I suggest separating each one with a piece of wax or parchment paper to avoid breaking. Should last in the fridge for 3-5 days. Warm or toast before eating.