Paleo Hot and Sour Soup
3 scallions, diced (optional)
1/4 teaspoon of chili oil (optional)
1. Have 1 1/2 cup of boiling water ready. Pour it over the mushrooms through a strainer.
2. Take the water that you just poured and mix it well with the arrowroot.
2. Mix the vinegar and fish sauce together and set aside.
4. Open the can of bamboo shoots, drain well, and cut the shoots lengthwise into strips. (I like mine thick but the traditional way is thinner)
5. Place the chicken broth into a pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
6. Add the mushrooms, bamboo shoots, vinegar mixture, and arrowroot mixture.
7. Mix and bring back to a boil.
8. Once it comes to a boil remove from heat.
9. While stirring the soup slowly pour the egg into the broth in a small steam while stirring the soup allowing the egg to instantly cook and feather into the soup.
10. Add the scallions (optional), white pepper, sesame oil, and chili oil (optional).
11. Taste and adjust white pepper, vinegar, and salt to taste.
12. Serve immediately.