Paleo Strawberry Icebox Pie
Process for Pie Crust
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine coconut flour, coconut flakes, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda.
3. Combine eggs, oil, sugar, and almond extract in a medium-sized bowl until well blended.
4. Add wet ingredients to your flour mixture and stir until fully combined. Pour in a tablespoon of water and mix it some more. If the dough is still too sticky to handle with your hands, put in another tablespoon of water.
5. Once you spread it into your pie pan bake the crust for 15 – 20 minutes.
6. Set crust aside to let it cool while you prepare your filling.
Process for Strawberry Filling
1. In a large saucepan combine 2 c. of your strawberries with dates. I usually chop the dates and then microwave them for a bit with some warm water to get them softened. You will want to mash the strawberries and dates together — warming the dates up a bit will help them along.
2. In a small bowl whisk 1/4 c. of cold water with arrowroot powder and lemon juice. Make sure you use cold water.
3. Add the arrowroot mixture to your berries and dates. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
4. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and bring to a simmer — stir occasionally until it’s thickened; about 2 minutes.
5. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool slightly. Fold in the remaining 2 cups of strawberries.
6. Spoon filling into prepared pie crust, cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the refrigerator.
7. Chill as long as you can — at least 4 hours.
When ready to serve let it come to room temperature for a few minutes.