Bacon-Green Chile Meatloaf2013-01-09
- Servings : 5
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 0m
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook your bacon in a large skillet set over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan onto a plate and set aside. Add green chiles, onion, and garlic to pan, sprinkling a teaspoon of salt over the veggies. Stir frequently and cook until onions are translucent, 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool briefly.
2) Meanwhile, put all meat and spices (plus another teaspoon of salt) in a large bowl and mix gently together with your clean hands. Add in sautéed onion mixture, bacon bits, and the egg, mixing until just combined.
3) Scoop meat mixture from bowl into a 13×9″ baking dish and pat it into a rough, rounded loaf shape. Pop in the oven and set the timer for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for at least 5 minutes so it will hold together better when you cut it.
NOTES: Leftovers of this are my new favorite breakfast. Reheat gently and top with fried eggs—amazing.
- 4 slices bacon, diced small
- 4 whole green chiles; roasted, peeled, seeds removed, and diced
- 1 large shallot, minced finely
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb. ground beef or bison
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 Tbsp. each garlic powder and dried oregano
- 2 tsp. ground cumin, 1 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1 egg
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
Average Member Rating
(5 / 5)
2 people rated this recipe