- Servings : 5
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 0m
From our friends at http://thefoodieandthefamily.blogspot.com/!
Season the stewing beef liberally with salt and pepper. In a large pot, heat butter or olive oil. Brown beef on all sides. Pour in 1 litre of beef broth, canned tomatoes, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours; until meat is very tender.
In a large stock pot, fry bacon until cooked through. Remove from the pot with slotted spoon, leaving the bacon fat in the pot. Chop the bacon into bite sized chunks. Saute the onion, celery, and carrots in the bacon fat over medium-high heat until softened; 5-7 minutes. Scrape up browned bits in the bottom of the pot as the vegetables cook. Stir in mushrooms, green beans, garlic, and chopped bacon; cooking for 5 more minutes.
Stir in stewed beef mixture, oregano, and salt and pepper. Add 2 more cups of beef broth; the vegetables/meat should be just covered with liquid. Taste and add more seasoning if desired. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer (covered) for 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk tapioca flour with a bit of water until there are no lumps. Pour into the stew and simmer until the stew thickens slightly.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil; 1 1/2 pounds stewing beef, cut into bite sized pieces; salt and pepper
- 1 litre beef broth; 28 oz canned tomatoes; 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound bacon; 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped; 4 large carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced; 1/2 pound green beans, cut into 1" long pieces
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic; 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2-3 tablespoons tapioca flour
Average Member Rating
(0 / 5)
0 people rated this recipe