Chicken & Dumpling Casserole2012-09-02
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 4m
- Ready In : 0m
Heat the butter in a large saucepan. Throw in the garlic, onion and chicken chunks. Fry over a medium heat until the onions turn translucent and the chicken browns. Stir in the herbs.
Pour in the chicken broth, add the sweet potato and celery. Bring to a boil then reduce and let simmer for ten minutes or until the potato is tender.
While you are waiting, make the dumplings. Whisk together the butter, eggs and salt. Sieve the coconut flour and baking power together. Gradually add the flour mix to the eggs, stirring as you go to ensure a smooth batter.
When all the flour is added, you should have a thick paste-like mix. Leave it aside for ten minutes while you deal with the casserole.
Mix the corn starch (or other starch!) with a little water then pour into the chicken sauce. Bring to a boil then stir while it thickens. Once it’s thick and glossy, remove from the heat. Pour into a small casserole dish. Spoon a tbsps worth of batter and ‘blob’ it on top of the casserole. Repeat until all the batter is used (it should make four large dumplings).
Bake at 400 for 15-20mins until the dumplings turn golden. Serve.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 large, white onion, finely chopped
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken (or beef) broth
- 1 tbsp arrowroot or other paleo starch of choice
- 1 tsp rosemary, 1tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp sage
- Dumpling ingredients: 4 large eggs, 1/4 cup butter (melted), 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp sea salt, 1/3 cup coconut flour
Average Member Rating
(2.5 / 5)
4 people rated this recipe