Another smoothie brainstorm to keep my son nourished and satisfied!
Lemon is a great ingredient to have on hand when using leafy greens: it cuts their bitterness and hides them nicely so it does not feel like you are drinking a cup of grass! If you do not have a high powered blender, just use lemon juice, fresh or otherwise.
The magical protein ingredient here is again, GELATIN! If you follow me you know how much I love this stuff. If you still need some more pushing to add this superfood to your smoothies…..
- It makes the smoothie satisfying (pure protein!) without adding any taste or texture to the end product.
- It is gut healing (bowel movements are extraordinarily healthy for my little guy now!). Read more about its healing properties here if you like.
- It is a real food, not a highly processed protein powder, so it is more easily used by our bodies.
- My fingernails…they have been crazy strong and long, TOTALLY out of character for me! Even my Rambo lifestyle of cooking, home improvement and gardening isn’t effecting them!
- 12 ounces water
- 2 tablespoons coconut cream (fat from top of the can) OR coconut butter
- 2 handful baby spinach
- 1 cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/ 2 cup frozen peaches (or more mango)
- 1/2 banana
- 1/3 avocado
- 1 wedge lemon, seeded (with peel) If your lemons are not great or have lots of white pith or are old and stiff, just use lemon juice, 1-2 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons gelatin (omit for vegan)
- Optional: Stevia to taste and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place all ingredients into a high powered blender and blend until smooth.