Spicy Eggplant Slices and Roasted Garlic Paste
To make garlic paste –
• Heat oven to 375 degrees.
• Cut the top off the bulb of garlic, so the tops of some of the cloves are exposed. Pour a ½ teaspoon or so of olive oil on top of bulb.
• Wrap the bulb in foil, toss it in the oven and let it bake for about 45 minutes, until it is super soft to the touch.
• When garlic has cooled, remove garlic from peel. Just squeeze the bottom of each clove and the garlic will come out, almost like a paste.
• Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil (and a dash of salt) to mixture and mash until smooth.
To make eggplant slices –
• Peel eggplant and cut into thin slices, about ¼ thick. Depending on the diameter of your eggplant, you may want to cut each slice in half so the slices are half circles (and not so big.) The goal is to end up with big “chip-sized” slices.
• Line a baking tray with foil or parchment paper.
• Using 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lightly but completely coat the top and bottom of each slice of eggplant and place on tray.
• Combine salt, pepper and cumin. Sprinkle each slice with spices.
• Place in oven and bake for about 40 minutes, until slices crisp up a bit. Remove from oven and let them cool for about 5 minutes.
• Remove eggplant from foil. This can be a little tricky sometimes. You may need to sort of peel them off carefully.
• Spread a bit of roasted garlic on eggplant and eat. These are way better hot, so you might as well eat them all.