Three-Cheese Aubergine Parmesan
-1 large aubergine/eggplant, peeled and sliced thinly
-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
-1/3 cup coconut (or almond) flour
-1 tsp. basil
-1 tsp. oregano
-1 tsp. black pepper
-2 cans chopped tomatoes
-2 cloves of garlic, minced
-1/2 large onion, chopped
-2 tbsp. basil
-2 tbsp. oregano
-2 tbsp. black pepper
-2 tbsp. olive oil
-1 cup grated parmesan cheese
-1 cup full-fat ricotta cheese
-100 g full-fat mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced (1/4 pound)
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF (approx. 190ºC).
2. Beat one egg in a bowl, and add a tablespoon of water to create an egg wash. Combine the flour, basil, oregano, pepper, and parmesan cheese on a large plate (or in another bowl). Dip aubergine in egg, then cover in flour/cheese/herb mixture. Place on a greased baking sheet.
3. Cook for 30 minutes, flipping the eggplant halfway through.
4. To create the tomato sauce, add olive oil to a pan on medium heat, then add onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes. Add tomatoes and spices/herbs and stir well, then let simmer for 10-15 minutes/until sauce thickens. (I started making the sauce after flipping the eggplant– the timing worked out perfectly!)
5. Pour some sauce along the bottom of a baking dish (I used a 19cm X 34cm one), then add a layer of eggplant and top with ricotta cheese. Add another layer of sauce, then eggplant, then add mozzarella cheese. Add sauce, then eggplant, then finally top with parmesan cheese.
6. Bake at 400º F (200º C) for 20 minutes. Let cool, and enjoy!