- 2 acorn squash
- 1 lb sausage
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp sage
- 1 celery rib, 1/2 red onion, 2 cloves garlic
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- Pre heat oven to 400. Cut squash in half length wise and scoop out the seeds. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and sage to taste.
- Use 1 Tbsp. of coconut oil. Brush or spoon coconut oil into each half of squash. Roast for 60 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, melt remaining 2 Tbsp. coconut oil in a pan over medium heat and brown the sausage. Remove sausage from pan and let cool in a mixing bowl. Leave the fat in the pan.
- Finely dice the onion, celery and garlic and saute over medium heat for a few minutes– until they are softened. Add some salt and pepper. Then add the chopped apples and saute for a couple more minutes.
- Remove from heat and add to the mixing bowl with the sausage. Allow to cool.
- When sausage and vegetable mixture are cool enough to handle, add egg and almond or flax meal. Chop rosemary finely and add as well. Mix with your hands (I’m sure I don’t need to tell you to wash them first, right?) until well combined.
- After an hour, remove squash from the oven. Divide the stuffing among the 4 halves– the stuffing should be mounded– and bake for another 20 minutes.
- To avoid scorching the roof of your mouth… like I did… you should be patient and let it cool for a bit before you stuff it into your mouth eat it! Enjoy.